School Uniforms used to be just for Private Schools, however, in the recent years, many public schools across the nation have opted to have not just a Dress Code but a Uniform. I've heard many educators and parents say that having a School Uniform of sorts helps take away from the student being "singled out" and since the enforcement of a uniform, there has been positive difference in the students. One of those school districts that has a Uniform of sorts is Garland ISD in Dallas County.
GISD doesn't have a "UNIFORM", but they do have a "STANDARDIZED DRESS CODE" that is required for all Elementary & Middle School students. Students are expected to arrive on the 1st Day of School, Monday, August 22, 2011, dressed appropriately. So what exactly does that mean???
Since Garland ISD doesn't require a Uniform to be worn at their schools that are of a specific brand, they have listed out the general clothing types the students can wear that make up the GISD Standardized Dress Code.
- Red, navy or white polo-style shirts (short or long sleeve, no logos)
- Red, navy or white sweaters or sweatshirts
- Navy or khaki Slacks or Shorts (no cargo-style slacks or shorts; shorts must be modest length, approximately 2 inches above the knee or longer). Girls can also wear navy, khaki or plaid Skirt, Skort, Capris or Jumper (skirt, skort or jumper should be of modest length – approximately 2 inches above the knee or longer; plaids should be a red/blue combination)
- Shoes and socks (tennis shoes, loafers, dress shoes, or other closed-toe shoes. Tennis shoes will be necessary for physical education classes.)
- Belts (usually preferred; check with individual campus for specific requirements)
Many of the chain stores like Target, Walmart, Kohl's, ect will have these items and some stores even have a "Uniform" Department. If your child is in High School at one of the Garland ISD schools, please note that there is No Uniform or Standardized Dress that they must adhere to. However, they are expected to follow the GISD Dress Code. To find out more on the Garland ISD Dress Code for Secondary Schools, click HERE.
AND don't forget, Texas is one of the few states that has the Back To School Tax Free Shopping Weekend, which is August 19-21st! The Texas Tax Free Weekend includes everything from Undergarments, Pants/Jeans, Shirts, Regular Shoes (like Sneakers & Sandals), and all items on the GISD School Supply List plus Back Packs.
*Here's information on the GISD School Hours & the School Calendar in case you need it*